There are many ways for you to save energy at home. As a basic principle, you can start with the ones where everyone in the family can do. Having a family meeting and discussing (even with little ones) why it's important to save energy and how to do it, is a great way to get everyone participating. You can even keep it fun & make a game out of it. Energy Savings= more dollars for.... PIZZA & ICE CREAM right?!? Because THAT makes EVERYTHING better ;-)
You can start saving more energy by doing some simple things like:
- Turning off the lights when leaving the room
- Unplug all devices like TV sets, radios, and other similar machines because they have stand-by functions that still consumes energy (or using power strips that can be turned off by flipping the switch.)
- Although this one is simple, it is not suggested often because it's so simple, it is often overlooked: Close vents and windows when heating or air conditioning is turned on (especially the rooms not in use- this includes rooms most don't usually check... the craft or storage room used on a limited basis.)
- Turning off the faucet when brushing your teeth (if not in use). This will not just help you conserve water but also it will save energy that it takes just to pump or heat the water.
- Use bigger light bulbs instead of using many small ones. Big ones takes less energy but gives off more light compared to the small ones where it takes more energy but gives off lesser luminance. Or consider switching all your lighting to LED. LED lighting has shown to use MUCH less energy when compared to its counterparts.
This article 6 Home Energy Tips… #3 is usually NOT suggested ;-) posted on http://www.electricsaver1200.com/blog/